Sacramento Discrimination Attorney
Our Employment Attorneys Represent Workers in Discrimination Claims
At Newman Law Group, LLP, our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys are tireless advocates for justice. No employee or job applicant should be treated any less favorably based on a protected characteristic, such as race, ethnic background, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability status. It is our mission to protect the rights of employees. If you were subject to discriminatory practices in the workplace, we are ready to help.
State and Federal Laws Protect Employees Against Discriminatory Practices
Everyone deserves an opportunity to rise in the workplace based on their own skills, qualifications, and effort. People should not be held back based on false stereotypes. Discrimination has long been a problem in California and throughout the United States. While there has been gradual improvement, the unfortunate reality is that workplace discrimination remains a persistent problem. As an employee in the Sacramento area, you may be protected against discrimination in employment based on state law, federal law, or both. Here is an overview of the key statutes:
- Federal Law: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal employment discrimination law that applies to all businesses and organizations with 15 or more employees.
- State Law: California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)is a state employment discrimination statute that applies to all California employers with five or more workers.
We Handle the Full Range of Workplace Discrimination Claims in California
Newman Law Group, LLP is a full-service law firm committed to protecting the rights of employees. We take on all types of federal and state employment discrimination claims. If you were treated any less favorably than similarly qualified co-workers/job applicants because of a legally protected characteristic, you should speak to an attorney. Along with other types of discrimination claims, our Sacramento employment attorneys have the experience to assist clients with:
- Race Discrimination: Race discrimination is certainly not a new problem. It is strictly barred by both Title VII and FEHA. Unfortunately, it still happens. Our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys have the skills and experience to handle all types of race discrimination claims, including color discrimination and ethnicity discrimination.
- National Origin Discrimination: No employee should be treated worse in the workplace because of their actual or perceived national origin. If you or your loved one was subject to national origin discrimination, contact our Sacramento workplace discrimination attorneys for immediate help.
- Gender/Sex Discrimination: Gender and sex discrimination are barred by Title VII and FEHA. If you were treated worse than other co-workers/job applicants because of stereotypes about your sex/gender, you might have a viable claim. Both women and men are protected by sex discrimination laws. Contact our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys for immediate help with your sex discrimination claim.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination: In California, workers are protected against discrimination on the basis of LGBTQ status. If you were mistreated because of your sexual orientation or your gender identity, you should consult with an experienced Sacramento workplace discrimination attorney for immediate help.
- Age Discrimination: Older workers face some challenges in the workplace. Some employers do not give fair and equitable opportunities to older employees. Federal and state age discrimination laws protect workers who are 40 years of age and older. If you or someone you know was subject to age discrimination, contact our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys for help.
- Pregnancy Discrimination: Are you pregnant? Did your employer treat you unfairly during your pregnancy? Your legal rights may have been violated. There are remedies available If you or your family member was subject to pregnancy discrimination in the workplace, please do not hesitate to contact our Sacramento workplace discrimination attorneys for immediate help.
- Disability Status Discrimination: The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal law that covers all employers with 15 or more workers, including part-time employees. The law bars discrimination on the basis of disability status. Our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys have the professional skills and legal experience to represent workers in complex disability discrimination claims.
You Have the Right to Report Discrimination in the Workplace
Were you discriminated against by a business owner, supervisor, co-worker, or client/customer? If so, federal law (Title VII) and California law (FEHA) protect your right to report the mistreatment—both formally and informally. Employers are strictly prohibited from taking adverse action against an employee because that employee exercised their right to stop discrimination.
For example, imagine that a female worker was employed by a large construction company in Sacramento County. She complained that she was denied a promotion because of her sex/gender. A few days later, she was fired by the company. This could be grounds for a retaliation claim. Employers cannot punish workers for exercising their right to report discrimination.
How Our Sacramento Discrimination Attorneys Can Help
Every worker should be judged based on their personal qualification—not on stereotypes. Sadly, too many employers still engage in discriminatory practices. At Newman Law Group, LLP, our firm fights for the rights of employees who have been mistreated. We handle all types of job discrimination claims. Among other things, our Sacramento workplace discrimination attorneys are prepared to:
- Hear your story and answer your questions about employment discrimination;
- Explain your rights and options under state and federal law;
- Investigate the matter—getting the evidence and information to bring a claim;
- Advocate for you in any employment law settlement negotiations; and
- Develop a personalized strategy to get you the best results in your discrimination case.
Speak to a Workplace Discrimination Attorney in Northern California
Our Sacramento employment discrimination attorneys are strong, experienced advocates for justice. If you or someone close to you was a victim of racial discrimination, sex discrimination, age discrimination, or any other type of workplace discrimination, we are ready to help. Our firm handles workplace discrimination claims in Sacramento and throughout North Central California.
Contact Newman Law Group, LLP online or by calling us at (916) 352-3224 today. Speak with an experienced employment discrimination attorney in Sacramento to understand what options you have for your case.
Dan genuinely cares about the elderly and disabled- Lynne U.
Highly recommend!- Mitchell G.
They were there for me throughout the process- Marilyn E.
Dan is someone you can lean on for support and to do the right thing- Debbi H.
We were honored to have his representation- Dan F.
$1,500,000 Neglect Case
After a critical two months where our client was not bathed and multiple changes of condition went uncommunicated, unreported, and uncared for, she was ambulanced out to an Emergency Room, where her doctors and family were shocked to find that she had a stage IV sacral decubitus ulcer.
$1,300,000 Neglect Case
The client in this case is an adult who is developmentally disabled, bedridden, and unable to speak or move independently. The intermediate care facility where she resided neglected their responsibility to ensure her safety, well-being, and necessary medical attention that she required. As a result, the client suffered a Stage IV wound.
$1,000,000 Nursing Home Abuse Case
Unbeknownst to prospective residents and their families, this defendant RCFE chain was willing to systematically violate laws and its own policies designed to protect vulnerable elders. Willing to admit scores of profitable, high need residents (such as our client), and leave them at the mercy of a few unqualified, untrained and overburdened caregivers.
$875,000 Abandonment Case
Through exhaustive investigation, we found that our client’s death was not the result of a few isolated mistakes by care-givers. Rather, it was the result of this corporate facility’s policies prioritizing occupancy and revenue, while ignoring staff training, staff supervision, and the quality of care being delivered.
$775,000 Resident-On-Resident Abuse Case
While eating dinner at a Skilled Nursing Facility, our client was confronted by another resident who punched him, resulting in our client’s tragic death. The other resident had resided at the facility for five months, and over the course of those five months had engaged in numerous altercations with other residents, including two altercations that occurred in the 24-hour period before he assaulted and killed our client.
$750,000 Lack of Proper Care Case
During our client’s roughly ten-week stay at a skilled nursing facility, he would suffer 8 falls, lose twenty (20) pounds, and develop an unstageable left heel pressure ulcer and a stage II coccyx pressure ulcer due to the facility’s reckless neglect. He was transferred to the hospital, where he was found severely dehydrated, his left heel wound required debridement for eschar and gangrene, and for the first time, a stage II coccyx ulcer was identified.
$678,000 Financial Abuse Case
Our 84-year-old client was the victim of financial elder abuse related to a number of transactions, including the purchase of a home. The Defendant's real estate agents, lender, and escrow company all failed to protect our client throughout the process of purchasing the home, which was orchestrated by a woman who fraudulently siphoned off our client’s entire life savings.